Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Clinton wraps Asia trip by asking China to buy US debt

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090222...h-2802f3e.html

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Sunday urged China to keep buying US debt as she wrapped up her first overseas trip, during which she agreed to work closely with Beijing on the financial crisis. Skip related content
Related photos / videos US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton chats with a church official as she leaves the …More Enlarge photo US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton chats with a church official as she leaves the …More Enlarge photo Chinese police keep watch as Christians arrive at the Haidian Christian Church in Beijing Enlarge photo US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (L) meets with Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao Enlarge photo The Asian countries that US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited on her first …More Enlarge photo More photos: US Presidential Election

Clinton made the plea shortly before leaving China, the final stop on a four-nation Asian tour that also took her to Japan, Indonesia and South Korea, where she worked the crowds to try to restore America's standing abroad.

In Beijing, she called on authorities in Beijing to continue buying US Treasuries, saying it would help jumpstart the flagging US economy and stimulate imports of Chinese goods.

"By continuing to support American Treasury instruments the Chinese are recognising our interconnection. We are truly going to rise or fall together," Clinton said at the US embassy here.

Clinton had sought to focus on economic and environmental issues in Beijing, saying Washington's concerns about the human rights situation in China should not be a distraction from those vital matters.

Beijing's human rights record emerged nonetheless as an issue, as Chinese activists on Saturday reported being harassed or intimidated by Chinese authorities in a bid to stop them speaking out or meeting Clinton while she was here.

"Plainclothes police blocked me from leaving my home. They were afraid I would try to meet with Hillary Clinton or others in her delegation," democracy campaigner Jiang Qisheng told AFP by phone on Sunday.

Clinton and Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi largely agreed to disagree on human rights as they pledged future joint action on the economy and climate change.

The goodwill, also on display in her talks with President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao, could raise hope for a new era of cooperation between the two largest greenhouse gas emitters and two of the world's top three economies.

"Now it is more important than any time in the past to deepen and develop China-US relations amid the spreading financial crisis and increasing global challenges," Hu told Clinton, according to state media.

Clinton began her day Sunday by attending a Protestant church service in western Beijing at which an AFP journalist saw plainclothes police taking away some visitors who attempted to enter the church.

Their identities could not be confirmed.

Later, Clinton met Chinese women's rights advocates at the US embassy but continued to steer clear of speaking on contentious human rights issues.

Instead, while taping an interview on a Chinese talk show, she focused on the need for China to help finance the massive 787-billion-dollar US economic stimulus plan by continuing to buy US Treasuries.

"Because our economies are so intertwined the Chinese know that in order to start exporting again to its biggest market, the United States had to take some very drastic measures with this stimulus package," Clinton said.

"We have to incur more debt. It would not be in China's interest if we were unable to get our economy moving again."

Clinton added: "The US needs the investment in Treasury bonds to shore up its economy to continue to buy Chinese products."

The US secretary of state had said on Saturday after meetings with China's leaders that Beijing was still confident in US Treasury bonds and expressed Washington's appreciation for the investments.

China is the top holder of US Treasury bills, with 696.2 billion dollars worth of the securities in December followed by Japan with 578.3 billion dollars, according to the latest official data from Washington.

China's economic growth is at its slowest rate in about two decades as foreign demand for its exports, including in the recession-hit United States, have dried up.

Yang indicated Saturday that China would not deviate drastically from its US Treasury policies, but gave no overt promises either way.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Clinton wraps Asia trip by asking China to buy US debt

clintons explosed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRHNy...next=1&index=2
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Great videos eXchanger, I still can't believe either one is still in politics.Bill's a sleaze, because anybody that cheats on their wife is a sleaze. The Whitewater thing should've ended it right there for both and sent them to live in a little cabin in backwoods Arkansas! LOL!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #4
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
Great videos eXchanger, I still can't believe either one is still in politics.Bill's a sleaze, because anybody that cheats on their wife is a sleaze. The Whitewater thing should've ended it right there for both and sent them to live in a little cabin in backwoods Arkansas! LOL!
Just goes to show that as long as your willing to sell out your fellow americans and due the PTB biding you can get away with anything
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
You know, in defense of Clinton, the economy was quite good while he was in office. Whether or not he could take credit for it, remains to be seen. Regardless, my brother summed it up well:

"Clinton got a blowjob in office and the economy soared. He wasn't getting it at home but did it really do that much harm for him to get a blowjob? It boosted his productivity."

Again, that's just one man's opinion.

I have to admit that I lost respect for both Clintons during the primaries and they won't get it back for a long time. I realize that they are in deep with some nasty stuff as well. Yikes.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
oldpaganfreak
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
I have to admit that I lost respect for both Clintons during the primaries and they won't get it back for a long time. I realize that they are in deep with some nasty stuff as well. Yikes.
i'll bet the clinton pillow talk would shock the average american; maybe even wake them up.
oldpaganfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #7
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
You know, in defense of Clinton, the economy was quite good while he was in office.
it has taken a long time, for many things, to come to the surface

you surely do NOT think, that all the trouble, happened in 8 years ???
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

No but I'm just using it as an example because back then, I was not aware of the things that I am aware of now.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote