View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
GaiaLove
Avalon Administrator

Lightbulb Project Avalon Chat Room

The Project Avalon chat channel can be accessed by clicking the link below

http://projectavalon.2012info.ca/

This idea has been tossed around before and with some support it would work very well for us. The point has been made that a chat room can harm the forum, this is the farthest from the truth in my experience. Chat rooms and have been around since before the web and now are integrated into many forums to enhance the users experience. A chat room gives users the ability to converse in realtime about the topics posted here. Forums hold alot more information and are not limited to 2 or 3 line posts like on IRC and therefore are two completely different means of communication. Project Avalon is here to gather the "Ground Crew" and to provide a place for networking. What better way to do so than with realtime chat in addition to Forum information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I'm going to choose the vision that a chat room will only affect the forum in a positive way. People will feel more like close family and friends and will post more to the forum, esp. those shy ones who have not yet participated much.
We are co-creators of our reality - watch every word you think, say and write. I tend to forget this. Let's keep reminding each other until we have a new habit.
Many Blessings,
Karen
The first post regarding this was by sylph16 last November( http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6656 )which raised my interest and since Sol Invictus started his post at http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9111 last December I have been busy building. Sols post was recently revived as well as interest in the idea. With the last few tweaks I have done this week, I think this is what we are looking for.

Here is what I can offer at my expense (time and money):

The Basics:
  • A safe, secure web interface accessible with Firefox or Internet Explorer.
  • Searchable channel logs on the web so no important information said in public chat will be lost. (private chats are not logged)
  • Nickname registration so only you can use your name.
  • Channel user statistics where you can view a variety of stats on users in the channel.

The technical Side:
  • A small network of IRC servers capabale of supporting 5000 simultaneous users
  • A host of services to provide User and Channel registration as well as a memo system and of course network security.
  • Accessed easily with a IRC client like mIRC or Xchat at /server irc.2012info.ca or through the web based interface

What is needed now are a few people to help staff the place. Since the room/channel is open to all and not only Members here we would need some members of PA to act as Operators/Moderators to keep the place active.

Anyone want to help build this up? message me, respond here or join the chat channel.

Last edited by GaiaLove; 10-26-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Added link
GaiaLove is offline   Reply With Quote