View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
eMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Time to liberate our computers in a massive way

It is best you download direct and install your self.

The one I go for is Kubuntu, but there are a few other different flavours also available from Ubuntu. I prefer the KDE interface - hence Kubuntu. The standard Ubuntu distro is with the Gnome interface.

It is my humble opinion that Ubuntu installation is QUITE EASY and straight forward.

Caveat: although the open-source community works hard to include drivers for the most popular hardware, your installation may not be so perfect if you use some obscure Video/Network/Sound/Printer devices.

Then there is the 32/64 bit issue. sometimes it is still better to go for the 32 bit environment. I have both installed and use 32bit for software development under Eclipse as there are no 64bit plugins for the stuff I work on. There is no percievable difference in speed between the two that I notice. It is your call. If you run virtual machines, perhaps 64bit is better. Horses for courses. To help you decide, and as with all software, some thought as to what the software will be doing for you will be needed.

Encryption is something else. I agree that most of the common encryption has pretty much been a trivial issue to the security agencies for some time now and is an avenue for you to really explore separately. Therefore, this should not be a deciding factor in your choice of O.S. However, generally it can be said that Linux is inherently less vulnerable to Hacking and Virus attacks. In addition, Virus writers go for the easier low hanging fruit - Windows.

That said, I still use Windows too....

Make you decision, but do avoid pre-built offers from people you do not know. This forum is an ideal place for predators and I do not suggest in the slightest that the offer is not genuine and may well be. I do suggest however, some common sense.

Choose wisely grasshopper.
eMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote