View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #50
Church
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Earth Updates-2010

OH YEAH!! I forgot to mention this in my post on page 1...

Beginning around 2 years ago it suddenly began "raining" honey all throughout the neighborhood that I live in, which is in the remnants of an old growth oak forest. Most of the trees around here are several hundred years old, go up and over the streets, cover people's entire properties, that sort of thing.

Well, I'd say about 2 years ago was when it began... I started seeing sticky spots of something on my car, and on the windshield. I thought it was sap at first, because I always parked in the same spot under the same tree, and I just figured that it was a dying tree, no big deal. But then, it just kept on coming. After a week or so of noticing the sticky drops, I then noticed an active bee colony up in the tree. I put two and two together, decided to wipe my finger in a freshly fallen droplet of the stuff off the hood of my car, and lo and behold, it was the sweetest most delicious honey I've ever tasted!

Well, I thought it was just that tree. I quickly discovered that at least 6 of my neighbors, from further down the street, were getting honey on their cars and property too. Keep in mind that was 2 years ago. I now live in another house in the same neighborhood (about 2 miles away) and there are trees dripping honey on us here too.

My thoughts are: Either all the old growth trees are dying around here, which makes an inviting home for colonies of bees... or, on the flip side of things, it has nothing to do with the health of the trees, and the bees are just doing extremely well, proliferating all over the place, far outside of the microcosm of my neighborhood. All I know is, as long as there are bees and honey, nature isn't ready to implode just yet.

Last edited by Church; 03-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Church is offline   Reply With Quote