Egg
Banned

Default Re: Electromagnetic Radiation in the Home

For Jaqui.

Gamma radiation protection.

100 cms of packed earth / soil.

80 cms of concrete

2 cms of lead

Neutron radiation - the most hazardous and energetic radiation needs a water based material i.e. concrete (contains large amounts of bound in water) or water itself, not materials such as lead etc because it will just roll through it, causing the material to fall apart as its atomic structure is destroyed. problem with shielding for neutron radiation is that when its being slowed, the reactions within the materials can produce gamma radiation and thus you have to shield for both.

100/100/20 for hard shelters.

Thats the bad news.

The good news is that you are not going to be subjected to either if a dirty bomb goes off. You will have to deal with fall out if you are near to the detonation, but these weapons do not produce the high activity that a nuclear weapon produces - they rely on the scattering of materials into the air.

Making a house safe is as simple as sheeting the windows with plastic, as well as any vents and chimneys, and having enough food and water stored for two weeks whilst the weather and wind does its business. Do not go outside until the all clear is given by your local health teams, and above all else think of this - Dirty weapons from terrorism will target places where huge political points can be scored.

City of London, Oxford street, Houses of Parliment, and a few other targets. If you live near them, worry about it a little, if not, well, it would be number 100 on my time line worries.

You however would be better off shielding your home from EM radiation from phone / mobile / microwave transmitters and their frequencies. Thats no 2 on my time line worry.
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote