Thread: *Consider This*
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
2feathers
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: *Consider This*

Greetings, and good morning. (At least it is morning here!)

I have pondered this question .... where to start and what to do ..... and I can only speak from my personal perspective. I notice that I keep returning to the urge to awaken more to a tangible 3D sense of community. Somehow, the solutions all appear to be rooted in a sense of community. And, in many ways, all but a few of us function in relative anonymity.

It really doesn't matter WHAT crisis may or may not confront me. All I need do is ask myself a simple question - What will I do if I am confronted by the need to live as a sovereign entity for, let's say one week? (Let's just START with a week .... no need to ponder even WORSE scenarios to begin!) No electricity .... no water .... no Internet and cell phones .... no ATM's ..... no quick trips to the corner market .... just me, my family (and pets) ..... and my NEIGHBORS?

It MIGHT be a number of scenarios that could lead to just such a dilemma. I recall an accounting of my neice in Houston after the recent hurricane, and HER FAMILY was the LAST house on the block to have electricity restored relatively soon after the storm passed. Her direct neighbors had no services.

This could happen to ANY of us for many different reasons at any time. So it is only prudent that we plan to take care of ourselves and NOT rely on any other institution, person, ET, government ..... ANYONE ELSE .... to do the job for us. This can hardly be regarded as alarmist or irrational thinking!

I have decided my personal goal is to connect with three neighbors to make a plan. If I can inspire them to connect with three of their neighbors, perhaps I can inspire the entire community to do the same.

I think I will begin with the houses on my street. I JUST moved in to this community, so it will also be an opportunity to meet my neighbors. I will also do the same where I work. I work at an establishment just off grounds of a major University. My co-workers are all bright and energetic young adults. Certainly should such an emergency arise, the student body would have great concerns for their needs, and most of them would be a great distance from their biological families.

I suspect the answer will be found in simple, small steps towards community - rather than some broad and elaborate plan that overwhelms us all. I need only find ONE way to extend myself. The bigger steps will unfold along the way. Perhaps I might elect to assume responsibility for a basic 'first aid' station and so offer my skill as a medic/nurse/healer, or perhaps I might volunteer to serve as responsible for 'day-care' for the children in my area.

Anyway - I think THIS is where I will begin! I'm going to take a look at my schedule and find an appropriate night for an 'open house' and invite my neighbors in. (Of course I need to convince my adult daughter that this, indeed, a prudent path, and not just another of my 'crazy' ideas!)

terri2feathers
2feathers is offline   Reply With Quote