View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #72
She-Ra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How Do You Feel About This Forum?

I'm going for option B.

The forum started off great but members quickly started over zealously self-moderating or seeing the chance to be the prefects that they perhaps missed out on at school.

I read more than I post on here and have noticed that when people post threads about the reality we live in their threads and character get ambushed with accusations, warnings and 'telling off' for being fear mongerers, negative or a bad influence. It's like members are not allowed to think for themselves or have discussions. Now fair enough, I agree that we should always try to better ourselves ethically and spiritually, 'raise our vibrations' as many say on here and endeavor to have a positive influence but for many that also means addressing the reality we live in head on rather than thinking we have to keep quiet about it lest the mention of negative things ensures they happen. Sure having a positive focus is a good thing but ignoring the negative isn't always constructive and to be treated like there isn't a choice on this forum 'for our own good' is going past good intentions. I've noticed many posters who want to address these issues have started posting disclaimers in their threads that specifically say things like 'I'm not fear mongering or being negative but...' just in case they get jumped on by the very people who are trying to spread love and light or start unnecessary friction. Conversely, calling people 'hippies' or 'new agers' is hardly helping.

This forum was apparently started to address physical issues and networking due to negative situations in the reality we live in. I think the spiritual, mental and emotional input is wonderful and provides a good balance, but instead of balance we're getting conflict because people are not showing tolerance for each other and the different approaches people have to addressing and tackling issues. As long as there isn't unethical behaviour, there needn't be so much tension amongst each other.

I also dislike that many posters are being labeled as having 'victim mentality' and 'well if you choose that or let them do that to you then it's your fault' - that's hardly encouraging is it? We live in a reality (or false reality) where we are being influences by so many things both internal and external whereby yes we do make our own decisions and have to accept the consequences, we have to try to be mature and try not to make mistake or consciously negative decisions in the first place but we are also surviving in a web of deceit and manipulation so many of us are both victims and victimisers. We have to acknowledge that and not blame the victims instead of the victimisers or entirely blame someone/thing else without evaluating ourselves. It's hard to be strong or vigilant or positive all the time, have some sympathy - we can't all empathise with each other but a little sympathy can go a long way.

We're all on this board together, so we have to learn to share it or many of us will likely get pushed away.

Just a note - I'm not against self-moderation, it just seems that there are some distinct wedges appearing and hopefully that wont turn into anything akin to pack mentality.