View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #138
adam
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Capitalism, Sustainability, and the Possibility of Global Collapse

dear history circus,

there has been a long-term argument in international relations theory about what you just mentioned....

the anarchial space that exists betwen states. can it be eliminated? if so, does it require a one-world government...

according to liberal internationalism, no. there are so-called "rules to the game" which is the institutionalization of international norms of engagement that can govern the so-called anarchy that exists on the international stage.

is a one-world government necessary for our evolution as human beings in this temproral space? no.

however, i will say that there is a trend toward (and it will be gaining great speed) the stronger institutionalization of norms governing the foreign policy of nation-states.

the cry started after WWII when it became blindingly apparent that sometimes a country cannot govern itself and protect its own citizens from crimes due to the failure of state-level institutions (i.e., the holocaust).

many say that the 6th day of ethics/blossoming of the mayan calendar will start here next month. i would agree on a spiritual level....

expect to see a greater trend toward regional integration as the sovereignty of individual nations has been slowly erroded over the years by such things as globalization of trade, communications, transnational civil society organizations, the internationalization of rules of democratic governance, etc....

there is strength in numbers. however, sovereignty and cutural differences are vast. a one-world government is an impossibility.... however a confederacy of states on a regional level is quite possible given geographic, language, and racial barriers that still do dominate our thought processes.

I would also like to mention the trend toward democratization. Liberalism stresses the importance of self expression. This is something people tend to take for granted when discussing the rich tapestry of human existence by debasing our evolution and referring to us as "sheep".

Dr. Deagle brings a lot to the table. I do however wonder at times if his expansive view of the present has not skewed his vision of the future. It is easy to be bogged down in the mire of destruction that surrounds us, but....

a slight shift in the paradigm that describes our human thought processes... a so-called shift from linear to non-linear thinking would immediately change all of this (2012 emergence of a new paradigm).

food for thought.

peace
adam is offline   Reply With Quote