View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #68
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The Bible and the Evil God: Lies, deception & brainwashing

Religion and everything associated with it is based on the assumption that the stories human beings tell each other about gods and the supernatural are true. However, if one were to believe the Bible to be true (or the word of the one true and living god), which I did for many years, you have to maintain a hubristic attitude that I can no longer justify.

To think that our tiny species, living on our tiny planet, adrift in the vastness of space, which will exist for such a minuscule amount of time is the center of 'creation', or that we have the capacity to understand some 'greater reality' requires such arrogance it is amazing so many of us are blind to it. In reality, we are limited by what is available to us.

We are resource limited beings. The resource limited human brain cannot comprehend reality beyond the tiny sliver of space and time our species will ever occupy. This fact confounds these great cosmic mystical notions contained in religion and most spiritual practice. Or at least it does in my mind.

All stories about what exits outside of our tiny sphere of experienced universe are simply that ... stories. They may hold object lessons or human wisdom that might be useful, some of it is harmful, but they are human stories, created by humans for humans. This fact explains why 'revealed' information is so varied and contradictory and why humans have fought and killed each other over it for so long. It isn't 'divine' in way shape or form, it is human, animal, of the earth, and the product of the human imagination.

That's the way I see it anyway. Your views and opinions may vary.
trainedobserver is offline   Reply With Quote