View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Baggywrinkle

Default Re: Gas Companies Disconnecting Thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMe M View Post
We are rural.

Our propane is delivered. We pay first, then they bring the gas. Lots o people are going to freeze to death this winter for lack of funds. Its ridiculous expensive for us when my husband is working, now im just kinda wondering which bank would be easiest. We only heat to 65 during the day and 52 at night. Its way too cold but our propane last year for only our furnace was 2800.00. All the other appliances and water heater are electric. Our furnace is new, a super high efficiency 92+ and we have done everything we can do as far as winterization. We were unable to go to a township meeting but they are now proposing a no burning of wood ordinance in this podunk, backwards, overtaxed, second generation hillbillies educated beyond their intelligence, area. We had a family member with a personal crisis so we couldnt go to the meeting. The one presenting and behind the ordinance has two big burn barrels in their front yard, we were informed.

I am fed the flip up. How much more bs does one have to endure? Ive met my quota.
That is where we keep our temp also. But we have two
aces in the hole which make life tolerable We started
using kerosene space heaters for our active occupation area, and we are using Jim Phillips foam thermal johns which are absolutely incredible.

Learning from Miles Stair, we found a 225 gallon fuel oil tank free for the taking and converted it for bulk kerosene storage. #1 stove oil and it works great for light and cooking as well. Two hundred gallons of kero cost us 1000 and it goes right where we need it - like in
the bath for a shower. The rest of the living space be damned. 5 gallons of kero for heating lasts a week so we're good for the winter. We live in Washington so the winters are mild, but twenty degrees in the house is still miserable.

The other thing we do is use an Amish style propane pole lamp with a mantle for light and heat. We use a coleman propane tree topped with a texsport single mantle lantern - important point that - with the glass
removed and an appropriately wide cheap lamp shade
mounted on a five gallon propane bottle. I had our propane tank equipped with a wet leg so we could fill the bottle from our own supply. One five gallon bottle lasts months. Many Amish homes have a purpose built cabinet
on wheels to hide and secure the propane bottle. It works and works well, electric company **** off.

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 10-24-2008 at 02:49 PM.