View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #24
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Fantasy Avalon League

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpeter View Post
If we had a farmhouse and some land which would sustain say 20 people, how would we get the right people? I've thought about this myself and it gets a bit tricky.

Say we advertise in forums like this that we are looking for like-minded people to join us. What if we get 100 replies? The way I see it, we would have to get to know the candidates and select those who are most likely to be useful while at the same time being unlikely to have strong differences of opinion on any subject. In other words, people who we know will maintain the harmony of the group and also be useful to it.

But this means somehow finding out enough about each person before accepting them and it also means rejecting a lot of very good people, which wouldn't be very pleasant for either party.

Any thoughts on this?
I think you raise a very good point Justpeter... and it's why I say this thread is just an excercise in dreams and hypotheticals. Because I think as soon as you try to specify, something is going to come along that doesn't fit your paradigm.

Incidentally... I'm in the chat room just now.. so if anyone wants to pop in and discuss some of this on the fly.. I'll be about for 20 mins or so.

I honestly don't know how you would select. To set criteria is almost too specific, yet without rules there can be anarchy. Many communes have been plagued with this over centuries.

You have to hope that you're lucky enough that synchronicity plays a big part. I think if your intentions are pure.. then just maybe the right people will come together. But I can see that may also seem naive.

What I can imagine is something that allows individual freedom but makes use of locally available mass labour. so if there's 20 of you, it makes it easy to garden or build, or clean or clear... yet you have your own space too.

Perhaps the number would depend on how much cash is required to build on/buy land....

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote