View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: UN is ruthless in Haiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
Blah blah blah.

Let's not get inundated with anti-UN propaganda. There are people in Haiti who don't give a flying **** about the Illuminati, nazis or the UN. They are trying to survive.
Not sure what that's supposed to mean HJ. Yes, there are people in Haiti who are just trying to survive, but the largest organization in country, tasked with providing aid, is simply not delivering, not only that, they are, arguably, hindering relief efforts.

It seems fairly clear that the UN were the ones who ordered those Belgian doctors out. Well, actually they pretty much gave them a ridiculous choice.

Quote:
CNN initially reported, based on conversations with some of the doctors, that the United Nations ordered the Belgian First Aid and Support Team to evacuate. However, Belgian Chief Coordinator Geert Gijs, a doctor who was at the hospital with 60 Belgian medical personnel, said it was his decision to pull the team out for the night. Gijs said he requested U.N. security personnel to staff the hospital overnight, but was told that peacekeepers would only be able to evacuate the team.
My money's on the UN being the purveyor of the 'news' of the "riots" and "looters", prompting the docs to ask for security in the first place.

Here's the "looters" btw...

It makes no sense whatsoever. Watch this...

Why accept flights full of marines (for security) and turn away a lift with life saving supplies and equipment? It's mind boggling. I know that people want to error on the side of caution normally, but the side of caution in this case, is entirely mistaken. There are literally thousands of people whose lives hang in the balance right now, and the people in charge (which seems like the UN/US military) are going about locking down the island before they tend to the dying. In this situation you just have to help the people first, period, like the coast gaurd (one of the few bright spots) did during katrina.
Quote:
That is why the Coast Guard succeeded. Unlike many other federal agencies, the Coast Guard was able to cut through bureaucratic red tape with a simple philosophy: Act first and get permission later.
It makes no sense whatsoever. Why not bring the security to the wounded instead of vice versa? Is it not easier to move security personel than wounded and dying people? There is a small window of time that is rapidly closing where there is a chance to save a large number of lives, but those in charge are simply wasting time, and for what reason? That's where this gets murky. Is it logistical errors, or something more sinister?

Honestly, I am virtually always an occam's razor kinda guy, but I'm just baffled by what I'm seeing here, and I'm beginning to see "soft kills" after the big "hard kill". How can these relief situations keep getting ****ed up so badly? I'm certainly less willing to believe the 'logistical problems' explanation after seeing basic stuff get so messed up time after time.

Last edited by raulduke; 01-20-2010 at 10:39 AM.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote