View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #35
Shellie
Banned

Default Re: 10 Reasons to Stop Eating Beef (and other Fast Food)

I will re-iterate what I have said on another thread; I do not feel guilty for being an omnivore. The only thing morally "wrong" with it is the way modern industrial farming has destroyed the environment, quality of life for the animals, quality of meat for us etc.

I have serious doubts about vegetarian and especially vegan diets. Humans have been omnivores arguably for 2.5 million years. Our teeth and digestive systems are designed for both animal and plant sources. Some evolutionary biologists (as much as you may or may not believe in evolution) believe that is it precisely animal consumption that gave the impetus for language and social groups; animal proteins added to our stature, just like glucose in fruits and veggies fed our brains and made us "smarter".

Out of the 7 vegetarians that I personally know, only one is actually healthy. The rest are rail-thin, weak, and suffer from nutritional deficiencies. This of course is because they are not meal planning or paying attention to their diets, even though most of them eat a wider variety of grains and veggies than the average person. The only one that is healthy is that way because she intentionally keeps a food journal and plans meals.

Now what I want to know, is if a vegetarian diet is so "right" for humans, why is it that people on these diets can only be healthy if they are meticulously keeping track of everything? That is not normal at all. The human digestive system is an amazing laboratory; it can break down and synthesize exactly what it needs out of an infinite amount of various ingredients at various ratios. Meat eaters regularly do very well on their random diets, and they would do even better if the animals they ate were grass-fed and not injected with antibiotics and hormones. Vegetarians on the other hand don't do so well with a random diet.

I would like to propose another solution; eat sheep. The meat isn't as tampered with (yet), and sheep don't destroy cropland like cattle do. Their milk is better balanced for the human body than cow's milk, and it takes a lot less to feed sheep than cows (by weight).
Shellie is offline   Reply With Quote