View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
-Axiom-
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The shocking truth about public schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon View Post
I would offer up that there is just as big of a conspiracy in failure to parent. There are two sides to this story. The truth is also that students have become less teachable, parents are either disinterested, unavailable or unwilling to participate, and as a result there is no longer any real form of discipline or recourse for schools and teachers. There are demands and accusations made by irresponsible students parents that want results they aren't willing to sacrifice for themselves, except in cases where monetary awards may be received through litigation. These lawsuits, although perhaps a huge minority,shape the entirety of policies governing education. It's a cake and eat it too type of situation. It is also true that while teacher's have one hand tied back by their inability to maintain order with students and parents, the administrative bureaucracy ties the other hand. There is a push on both sides. More times than not, people get exactly what they ask for... as the decent/intelligent folk are out to lunch while the riff raff litigate their way to ignorance.

This is not to comment at all on the material that is being taught (you'd have to be blind not to see what is going on there) and the level it is taught down to. School is mostly daycare these days, however you get out of it what you put into it like anything else. Almost all schools have honors programs, yet the large majority do not participate in them. Now why is that? You know how excited most schools would be to have more kids in their honors programs? More kids and parents that gave a crap? That translates to big numbers folks - more affluent neighborhoods, more tax revenue, happier and better teachers etc and so on.

[Insert egotistical rant] All I see in this kids video is another victim looking for someone to blame or scapegoat. He is hardly researched and makes a poor argument. Where is his responsibility in this? He claims he is being indoctrinated and fed BS, yet he can't make a simple valid argument to support his case? Does he not have access to the internet or a library? Seems kind of ironical doesn't it? "I aren't being edumacated!!" He can cry anarchy all he wants - that's not going to fix anything. Educate yourself. Don't hold everyone else accountable and make enemies of the world. If you see a problem, then isn't it your job to find a solution - not become it's victim? Totally uninspiring. [rant /out]

I couldn't agree more.
I was trying to find a way to post what you did, you did much better than I would have.

I think the bigger problem is the erosion of the family unit, the schools have to deal with this daily across a wide spectrum.

Nowadays we have all these school shootings, that simply didn't happen when I was in school.
I used to bring a pocket knife to school with me, it was never a problem.
I wasn't threatening anybody though either.

This is just a side effect of the decline of our social values over the last 30 yrs.
Some public schools are better than others and it is largely dictated by the socio-economic factors of a given school district.
It is not the amount of money the schools receive, it is the social standards of the people in the school district.

To say that this is a conspiracy of international bankers is akin to believing that the World Trade center was demolished by nano-thermite...
-Axiom- is offline   Reply With Quote