View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #431
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

The ego loves drama and one of the main ways it does is to perpetuate fear.
All ego positionalities come down to fear, needing to have, fear of lack, blowing ones own trumpet, insecurity, fear that others are better than one in some way, attention seeking, fear of not being loved. all prejudiced comes from fear of that which we dont know or understand.
The list is endless.
If fear is removed think of the kind of world we would live in.

The ego is animalistic and was necessary to our survival -- me first-- survival of the fittest.
The front cortex of the brain is a relatively new addition to what is still an animal reptilian "processor" as in computer.
So we have become a very intelligent animal. We could blow up the plant with one finger on the launch button of nuclear missiles, well two fingers actually.

The human race has been at war for 95% of its known history and without a change in attitude ie consciousness-- past history if continued would make major use of atomic weapons inevitable. Good bye human race!!!

With out the ego the human race would not have survived,
We had to know what was safe to eat and what would eat us.
We had to be dualistic in order to survive long enough as a species to give human consciousness the time to experience, to grow spiritually, make ready for the next stage in our evolution.
So the ego has served us well but time to move on.

So what happens when the ego is transcended?

If the Sages who tell us they experience the world in an entirely different non dualistic,ego less way are to be believed (and I do) the the ego less state of Oneness is one filled with peace and love, enjoying life in a radiance that is unknown to us, the as yet non enlightened.
The ego is just redundant not required because in the state of enlightenment the awareness takes over from the mind, as we know it, verbal thought is not necessary, there is a non verbal knowing. appropriate action just happens. As said life is enjoyed to the full.

Transcending the ego is to my mind crucial to our survival.
It is that important.

If you are new to this thread can I suggest that you take time to read at least some of the other pages. There have been some great contributions.

With love
Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote