View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #449
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Hi chris and all contributors.

Chris stated.....The ego loves drama and one of the main ways it does is to perpetuate fear....

I was just thinking about this last night so it was a moment of synchronicity (sp?) for me when this line Chris wrote was the first one i saw today.

Spiritual life requires a stable base of calmness and serenity, a lot of the practices and techiques develop these qualities. So what made me think of this was that i was watching a film, no different than most average films, and there was the usual dramatic tension involved that drives a typical hollywood narrative forward. And i felt my blood pressure rising, you know how the heart beats slightly quicker, whether its comedy or horror or indeed a drama. And its the same with news stories, usually bad news and news that builds drama and creates fear. We may not notice all the time because we become so conditioned to a state of fear and anxiety. So two things i draw from that is to be very careful about what we watch on tv, especially the news and also that all this drama does indeed have the result of binding us to the illusion of fear and anxiety of helplessness and sadness, and takes us away from getting the opportunity to experience calmness, peace and serenity and thus the chance to develop spiritual progress. So thats my thought for the day Edit...So this is what creates FALSE ego

Last edited by aroundthetable; 02-21-2010 at 12:03 PM.
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote