View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: what 'is' emotion?

Excellent question sammytray.
Each of us would likely define emotion a little bit differently...for instance...if you asked a neuro-biologist what emotion is, they might say emotions are electro-chemical actions and re-actions which take place in various regions of our brains. Similar to sensational triggers caught by our eyes, ears, skin and other sensory organs. A strictly scientific approach perhaps.
While those trained in other disciplines might define emotions in still different ways. That (to me) is the value in such a question...to see how each of us define intangibles.

My personal definition of emotion is up in the air, I've not settled on any one explanation, as of yet. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I still "study" as much as I do. To date, evidence has shown me that emotions are one of a very few 'things' that are "real". It seems all matter exists only in my mind, as a result of my brain drawing conclusions from my senses. If this is true, then my thoughts and emotions are the only 'things' that are actually "real". Thoughts and emotions carry over from the dream state to the waking state, while the 'matter' involved in dreams vanishes at the first sign of waking.
Perhaps this "waking' state is yet another illusion, layered upon another illusion...it's very hard to put to words (forgive me).

At any rate...excellent question. I look forward to others responses.
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote