View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Well I've finally settled on where I'm going to be putting my energy for the next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post
Hi Carol,

Interesting thread ....
I am also on an Island but much smaller than yours. I have contacts with other entrepreneurs on the island (ICT support)
and got word from the first ones already that it's getting harder and harder to get containers leaving or arriving here.
This is all no surprise of course ... only confirmation of what's expected.

Meanwhile I have done some homework and growing my own food and spend some time on alternative energy.
But that's more of what's already known and trying to make it more efficient etc.

Your input is new and refreshing to me ... do you have more documentation on that ?

Cheers
Hi Operator,

This project was originally develope in the Virgin Islands by one of the Universities there and is proven successfull. The systems set up here have already been tested for the past 18 months and are flawless. Lots of studies and research has gone into this and it is now basically a slam dunk with respect to replication. The first class on setting up the commercail systems were last month and there were over 90 people from around the Islands and from the mainland who showed up for this (4 days, 36 hours).

We are meeting with the Govenor next week at which time we will pitch a state-wide self-sufficiency project that will hit all of the schools starting with the children and teaching them how to do this with systems established in their respective schools.

The leader here, Tim Mann, is now making a much smaller family system which he started on today. We also had people from the mainland who are going to handle this in a huge commercial way and have the money to do so.

The aquaponics system here in Hawaii is the first such system in the United States.

Those of us who attended the workshops are all in the process of setting up our own systems and have extablished our first aquaponics cooperative in the United States.. which we plan to see it go International as soon as the web-site is completed.

There is another group who went to the same aquaponics training in the Virgin Islands who have set up a website with this information on it out of the mainland.. but they have yet to set up any working system and just have everything on the drawing board. You can see their diagrams on their website and get more info from there as well.

The link to their website is www.aquaponics.com

I have to check on what the link to the newly emerging International Aquaponics Cooperative is.

I'm willing to share all of my info for free with anyone who is interested. By the way this cost me $1700 for the classes and plans approved of by the county to build our system.