View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
zorgon

Default Re: Protecting Your Computer From Malicious Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Thank you on behalf of the members GB. We all can benefit from your informative post.
AVG free is great but it is an anti virus not a firewall...

Zone Alarm is the ONLY firewall that stops programs already on your computer from dialing OUT...

These two in combination with Hijack This is all I have ever needed to be secure... and if you go where I go that is saying something

A note about .mil sites...

Do NOT go banning people for that its NOT malicious. What happens is that when you post a direct link to a .mil file (not all but most) onto a forum... when a person views the page it automatically attempts to load the certificate which is a coy way to make you click for permission to enter while allowing them to track you.

The problem comes when someone outside the US is attempting to access some .mil sites... especially a forum...

It is always best to post a document that IS in public domain on your own space and link from there rather than hot link to a .mil site.

Also by hot linking you are sending hundreds, maybe thousands to a site that maybe had only one or two hits in months

There is also an issue that while certain areas might be in public domain within the USA, that does not mean they are meant to be sent to Iraq or China... if you catch my point

Hope that helps