View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #142
historycircus

Default Re: Capitalism, Sustainability, and the Possibility of Global Collapse

Hi Samncheese,

I know there is a lot of stuff out there that speaks of debt as an evil thing, but dig this. Let's say I'm broke - flat broke. No change, no gold, no assets. You are my best friend, and have money that does not need to be spent for two weeks. The only way for me to get back and forth to work for the week, and pick up my paycheck on Friday, is to find someone to borrow twenty bucks from. I turn to you, my best friend, and you loan me twenty bucks - essentially making me a loan, expecting repayment, and allowing me to fall into debt.

Am I evil for asking for, then taking the loan? Are you evil for loaning it to me, and promoting my debt? Is that not what the capitalist system is supposed to do on a much larger scale? Are all forms of credit/debt immoral? These questions, I think, steer the discussion here right back to the original intent I had when starting this thread - to discuss practical and useful ways for those who will be a part of future safe/radiant zones to engage in economic activity. For that Samncheese, I thank you greatly.

So, what do you all think?