View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
TruthWalker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Proof that I am not an Agent, Troll or Energy Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
But its not.

The level of control you are asking for will require diligent, "professional" moderators. We don't have those we have volunteers with varying levels of experience at dealing with highly confrontational situations.

As I explained before - deleting and editing threads/posts is a really big deal here. There is a culture of not doing it because we don't want to give credence to the notion that we are censors with an agenda. (We are not)

There is a culture on this forum. Those of us who have been here for a long time know it. The culture does not support the mode in which you are proposing to engage in it.

It is your right to explore potential changes to that, but you cannot "insist" on them - you cannot blackmail people into accepting them with implied threats - of what you know we have characterized as disruptive behavior (see your "spotlight" para in the OP, you even admit you are doing it on purpose to make a point).

If you cannot find fertile ground for your endeavors here, then it will be time to go somewhere else. If you insist on trying to stay and change things then you are, in my opinion, not living the ideals that you claimed for yourself in the original post.

In short, it is not your forum.

This situation has a finite lifetime. Our jobs as moderators require us to maintain the status quo established by the forum guidelines and the constituent members of the forum. Some more vocal than others.

A..
While everything you say above is reasonable, I must insist that asking people to stay on topic will not require great amounts of moderation.

A good start would be to ask moderators THEMSELVES to stop participating in off topic tangents. Moderators can't just revert to saying what ever they like just because the first line says: "Mod hat off". What's that all about?

I understand that if you delete threads, people will cry foul. So I agree. But it wouldn't hurt for moderators to type once in a while: "Hey, come on people, cut it out." -- or to send the odd PM to people who blatantly insult others.

Do I need to go and get examples?

Last edited by TruthWalker; 12-16-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo