View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What is equanimity ?

The part of your post which I liked best: 'Equanimity is a protection from the "eight worldly winds": praise and blame, success and failure, pleasure and pain, fame and disrepute. Becoming attached to or excessively elated with success, praise, fame or pleasure can be a set-up for suffering when the winds of life change direction. For example, success can be wonderful, but if it leads to arrogance, we have more to lose in future challenges. Becoming personally invested in praise can tend toward conceit. Identifying with failure, we may feel incompetent or inadequate. Reacting to pain, we may become discouraged. If we understand or feel that our sense of inner well-being is independent of the eight winds, we are more likely to remain on an even keel in their midst.'

My observation: Equanimity, Balance, Homeostasis, and Response Ability are interrelated and extremely important. Some of the most helpful concepts in the world are not sensational or supernatural. They are simply basic common sense. But in this devil's island, insane asylum, prison planet called Earth...common sense is uncommon. The applications, implications, and ramifications of Equanimity and Friends are endless. A buffer for the maintainence of ph balance is an example from nature.

My reality: Just the opposite of all of the above. I'm getting very tired of trying to be a wise-guy. It seems to do very little good.

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 07-24-2009 at 11:15 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote