View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: How the UK has changed and not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
How the UK has changed; in my life time.

My school. We said prayers in the morning assembly, sang a song, and went about the day. School was educational, I learnt alot, but it was fun. Also the teachers had total and utter control. Christmas Time was celebrated, the school was decorated, we made candles and gifts and had a Christmas nativety play. The teachers ruled absolute.

My social circle. We had fun, we spent summers in the rivers and fields or in the woods outdoors. We did cadets and such like activities and went round to each others houses. We had total and utter respect for the parents of our friends because they were adults.

My money. Sweets and the like were a treat. Goods were not thought to be an automatic right, but a gift or a privilege. Money was earnt and saved.

Televison. It was either rationed or none at all. I did not consider the television a form of entertainment, it was there for the adults, not for me. Books and libaries weer my learning tools, not a goggle box.

Law and order. Total respect for the Police and any one in a position to tell me off. (all adults !) I had a knowledge that there was a set of rules governing my behaviour and that was the end of the matter. I stepped out of lined I got punished, end of story and never did it again.
I remember those days
We used to ride or walk to school, my mate would sometimes get picked up by his dad in the car and everyone would make fun of him for days after
Nowadays you cant get near my old school in the morning because of all the sad mothers in their cars dropping little Johnny off.

It was safe to leave the door unlocked even at night. You had two big presents in the year if you were lucky and had behaved yourself, birthday and Christmas.

We weren't allowed to stay in the house at weekends and holidays, my Mum would say "get out from under my feet" and send us outside to play. This was the same at all my friends houses as well.
If I had something it was looked after as I knew if I broke or lost it that was it.
No one was allowed a television in their bed rooms.
I was lucky and grew up on the edge of a town so I spent most of my childhood in the fields building dens etc, kids nowdays seem to be scare of and have no respect for the county side.

I used to do a paper round on my bike, if a kid can be bothered to do one their mothers take them around in the car now.

I think it's disgusting the way kids and parents treat each other these days.

I was at my sisters one evening and her 15 year old son came downstairs and asked for some crisps, she said there were none, he complained and said he wanted some, she said there was still time for him to make it to the shop not far up the road, he said he didn't want to go to the shop, she offered to drive him there but he still said no, so she got in her car and drove to the shop and bought him some crisps while he when back to his room and played on his Xbox
I couldn't fecking believe it and asked her why she did that, she said it was easier than having grief from him. Our mother would told us there were no crisps and that would have been the end of the story

IMO people are too soft on their kids and are ruining them and their futures.
And no I dont have kids of my own thx, if I did I would bring them up properly
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote