View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Pacific Northwest Ground Crew

Hey DOODAH: Nice to have you with us. I lived off grid in New Mexico for several years, it was the best time I ever had. I was by myself in a straw-bale adobe, with a living roof. I put in a gravity feed well on the hill with use of a windmill to pump the water up, got a solar panel and went to the car section of the hardware store. Bought a deep cycle battery and headlights and hooked up my lighting system for under $100. Hot water was heated on the wood stove and from a black hose and reflection system off the roof, though I had a propane refrigerator, I began experimenting with ammonia in a closed hose system, I was able to get freezing temperatures by letting the sun heat the hose! I think it is possible to set up a solar refrigeration system that is closed and never needs to use fuel. Unfortunately, I never finished the project and I live in the city, though I'm in a geo-thermal building, I miss the country. I've been looking for a place to rent out in Washington or Oregon and I am still trying to make up my mind as to where the best area would be. I'd like to plant a garden again! Glad to have you with us. I have also had the dreams, though different, but I know what you mean.

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote