View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
MyShadow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Where's the proof of re-incarnation and past lives…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace of mind View Post
...or are these just theories?

I'm wondering why so many speak of these in their comments as if they are some known facts. People are using them in their arguments, summaries and advice...but I haven't seen any proof to re-incarnation or past lives...just opinionated beliefs.
thanks in advance...

Peace
To some extent, I'm with you on this one. It's hard to substantiate these theories when the variables are virtually all intangible. Discernment is the key.

Dolores Cannon, Brain Weiss - use hypnotic-regression as forensics - yet it's my experience that the subsconsious mind does not "operate" in terms of such details, so I think most of this is bleed over from the conscious mind's dreamstate - where our fantasies, desires and blocks play out. So when one describes a "past life" experience - it's a way within the psyche to detach from one's reality and project the issue onto another "life". In other words, a block - which is easier to talk about. I really feel that is what most of this is.

And also the phenomena of someone that is interested and studies past-lives or near death experiences, and reads up about it - well then those experiences of others are bouncing around in one's psyche and then naturally come up in one's own experience. I firmly believe much of this goes on.

If you are looking for something a bit more science based, try Dr. Ian Stevenson, although many feel his approach is a mix of science and mystics.

I think the most interesting people to study and review are young children, they seem to have the recall without the excess "baggage" in the psyche - yet I'm not totally convinced this is fool proof - as a childs mind cannot differentiate between fantasy/reality at times.

An interesting topic - discernment is the key. Otherwise we end up just accepting such things at face value based on a "credible" reporter - who deems the reporter as credible when the reporter is just expressing their beliefs?

Let me add that "Dr.", "MD" or "Phd" or "many books sold" doesn't = truth. It's there to build credibility to sell books.

Last edited by MyShadow; 03-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.
MyShadow is offline   Reply With Quote