View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #18
HaveBlue
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The power of music to awaken us / Tool the band?

A ver good and important point raised here. Music and the lyrics that go with have been the source of much of my wisdom.
After years of singing along and thinking about what I was hearing I finally made the decision to learn to play myself at the age of 24. Guitar firstly and then Mandolin and Piano recently. I do prefer acoustic instruments purely because they can be taken anywhere (mountains,boats etc...) not the piano!
and because acoustic instruments are timeless and you can play as if you are in any century you like.
The physics of it all-being vibration etc.. and the notes and chords we with ears respond to really are tuning in with the 'music of the spheres'.
Those that follow Dan Burisch and Marci Mc Dowells work at Eagles Disobey.net will know that the very essence of life itself has been now found to be 'sparked' acoustically. ie.. with sound. It has been thought that it was tiny amounts of electricity was the 'spark' that got the chemical soup to spring into life. While I believe this will still be true,it also requires the acoustics too.
But back to mucic, I have recently D/Led the Tool collection from TPB and have not 'listened to it yet' I have heard it a few times but are yet to truly 'listen' without distractions.
I have over the years asked many people about music and how they listen and many say ' oh I don't really listen to the lyrics,I just groove along with the tune'. this is fine when you are listening to Joe Satriani and the like but to miss out on all that enlightenment from the lyrics is truly a shame.
i could talk about this subject for ever so I'll leave it here, but one last thing:
I feel it is very important to listen to happy uplifting music preferably,although alot of truth and wisdom is done in the minor,darker keys too it should be balanced with happy ones too. It is too easy to fall into depression and get a clouded negative view of the world if you are only listening to 'aint it awful'. Sure there are alot of problems in the world but also alot of joy and wonder too. We must surely ask ourselves are we part of the problem or part of the solution?

Last edited by HaveBlue; 09-12-2008 at 01:20 AM.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote