View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #415
Lunatic
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Melbourne/Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieG View Post
Although the map goes to 14m there are prodictions that a rise of 70m is possible. This dose not allow for polar shifts or tectonic plate movement. If the earth rotated and Victoria were to end ut at the equator the sea would rise 122m Therfore if you want to cover all bases you would need to relocate to a place at least 130m above sea level, with etablished inrastructure ie Snowy mountains with hydo power generated 1000's m above sea level from losts of water located in farming and agricultural area.

G'day again Aussie G.....

If a sea rise of 70M is possible, then there would be very little left of OZ to inhabit...
The average hight above sea level for Australia is 300M. Apart from some tropical and pacific Islands it is the lowest (on average) land mass on the planet..
And while i agree that polar shifts can, and probably have occured in the past, i believe they would have been of the magnetic kind and therefore of little concern to humanity (basically affecting only migrating animals and birds and our compases)... If a Polar shift of the Geographical kind was to take place, where by VICTORIA would end up at the equator, it would be of such a catastrophic nature to everyhing on this planet that next to nothing would survive. The resultant stresses placed on the techtonic plates would cause old mountain ranges to colapse, new ranges to form, and the volcanic activity world wide that would make Krakatoa look like a fire cracker. Can I ask Aussie G, Where did you find the data to suggest that moving OZ to the Equator would cause a sea level rise of 122M.........??? The major problem I have with this geological pole shift scenario is that our planet has a natural ROTATION that is governed by the SUN and other planets in close proximity to earth, Murcury, Mars, Venus, etc. It would not only require the relocation of huge land masses but it would also have to compete with the natural forces of the universe... Have you ever spun a pushbike wheel in your hands and tried to change direction........????

Anyways that is my THEORY...........

Be Kind To DECENT People

Ian
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote