View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
SpaceMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Police state UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie View Post
I've got to agree with your last paragraph, Andy

There is a massive state of dependency and apathy in parts of the UK. The dependency isn't necessarily to do with benefits, but in the notion that the raising of children is the role of everyone else - except the parents. Aaargh!!

Locally, there are so many people who berate 'someone else' because there is not enough being done in the way of activities for children / young people. Not a single one of them would be prepared to get off their sofa's and help out at a club or a fund-raising event. People are pretty good at moaning, but pretty useless at taking some action.

Working in a community is an absolute eye-opener. As I said in my previous soapbox, we really shouldn't be surprised at a Nanny state - our apathy is just inviting it in. We've become very inward-looking - and pretty darned litigious too. Some of the health and safety measures exist simply because people sue over the tiniest things and create the need for institutions to be very wary and careful.

Well, better be off. My toast has just burnt my mouth so I need to go and sue the manufacturers.
Wow you read my mind. Excellent post!
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote