View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #78
zaina
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Ex-Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
Hmm, bible codes. Very interesting.
I used to be interested in them as proof the bible must be true. The only thing was I realised the bible god is bad whether the bible is true or not...
As for the codes themselves, I subscribed to (and still receive) the Bible Code Digest email newsletter.
I've noticed however that the codes they find, while interesting that they are so, supposedly, improbable, they are also not from one particular point of view, ie. they aren't an extended message from the author of the bible, whoever that might be. The code finders even explain that certain codes sound like they are from bible god, some are from a jewish perspective, or a christian perspective. Some are even from a buddhist perspective! ...and so on.

As a prophetic tool they don't seem to function that way. They are so obscure that they only really seem to fit after the fact.

Either way I don't see them proving the bible's claims about itself, because they also prove other religions claims about themselves...

So, yes they are interesting, but are they true, or just wishful interpretation? I don't know what to make of them, so I just have a look and kind of move on.

Oh, the other problem I have with them is the different translations that exist of the Old Testament. Whichever one they choose to use as the basis for their code searches has to be proved as the one true translation 'given by god' first... yet they use several, ie. NIV, Masoretic text, etc.
It's all too flawed of a process to trust...
...but still a fun phenomenon.

If you've ever watched "John Safran vs God" on telly you'll see him get codes out of Moby Dick though, and even from some song lyrics of a CD he had on hand...
yes i have seem how things can come out of books as well as bible ,strange really .but then is it really .
zaina is offline   Reply With Quote