View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #43
pilot
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Election results!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Allie: Basically, the people do not vote in the election, the states do. The weight of each state is based on its population (winner takes all). The electoral college is the actual vote for president- individuals in the EC pledge to vote for the candidate who gets the simple majority vote in their state. If 50.1% of people vote for candidate A and 49.9% vote for candidate B, then candidate A gets the entire weighted vote of the state.

In light of the last few elections the system seems stupid because the winner isn't necessarily the one who wins the majority vote. But this is the way it is set up in order to preserve the rights of the states (which are responsible for preserving the rights of their residents). I personally think it is still stupid (especially the winner takes all part).
Agreed, the Electoral College is very stupid.

I do not look forward to going to work tomorrow to face all the glum rednecks if Obama wins-and it looks like he is, in a landslide no less.

He may just be the next illuminati torch bearer-but I do like Michelle Obama-if her spirit and integrity is just an act, it's a darn good one. I'd much rather she be prez...
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote