View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Is this Forum elitist?

Hi astropsyche,

You could be forgiven in thinking that this forum is elitist, however nothing can be further from the truth.

Brazil is one of the most advanced, in terms of Internet, countries of the world, in third place behind the US and Europe. growth in technology of all kinds in Brazil is rife, even 'favelados' have cell phones. It's down to personal priorities. Somebody in another post told me that Americans prefer cars and guns. Over here in Brazil, it seems to be cell phones..... and guns!

The people in tis forum are here because they are interested in what the forum stands for and to share and offer information which is important to them. Are they elitist? I don't think so, just interested.

If we look again at Brazilians, I have contacted three Brazilians in this forum, of 180,000,000 here in Brazil and millions more in other countries and the funny thing is that those that contacted me were living away from Brazil!

The average Brazilian is more interested in national politics than world politics as the national scene always has something happening. They are more interested in soccer, although the attendance at football stadiums does'nt honestly reflect this, are a very machist nation and loves to watch the 'tele novelas', the 'soaps' to you and me. Does that make us more elitist? Not really. It just makes them interested in other things.

So you could ask me why is there a high concentration of US and European visitors to the site. Possibly because the site is in English. If the site was in Chinese, would you visit it? I wouldn't understand it so I know I wouldn't.

So as you can see there are many factors to be taken into consideration why we visit and participate in this forum. As I understand it, we are all of different education levels, ages, nationalities, religious beliefs, tendencies, political beliefs etc.

Are we elitists? Pas de tout.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropsyche View Post
My honest and considered view is that we all need to look to our collective responsibilities as members of the human race and carefully consider what is to be gained from this Forum - to not turn our gaze from the misery of 9/10ths of humanity who do not share our good fortune. Not to give up on the rest of humanity and assume we are the inheritors of the Earth - we are some of the most open to newness and positivity, educated and compassionate folk - or are we?
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote