View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: Posting long passages of outside text is prohibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoxymoron View Post
Seriously...is this new restriction internally or externally motivated? Have there been threats and/or lawsuits? Is this a prevention...or is it a remedy?
As far as I know, this guideline has existed from day one of this forum and it has simply not been enforced. But I wasn't a moderator at the beginning so all I know is what I was told. Gareth says Bill and Kerry wrote the guidelines and I take that to mean adapted a standard set of guidelines to fit their group because the language is so similar to other sets. But that is an assumption.

I have started Yahoo groups for around 10 years, and during that time I have frequently studied the "netiquette" rules for discussion groups and forums in detail. PROJECT AVALON GUIDELINES very much mirror the standard guidelines in any online group.

I will make the analogy with traffic rules. The stop signs, the traffic signals, the drunk driving rules are all there for a reason - to sustain a reasonable order of behavior where the least amount of people get hurt. You can disobey the traffic rules if you want to.

Here is the beginning of the guidelines: "Most online discussion forums quickly descend into chaos worthy of the Roman coliseums. In order to maintain a higher quality discussion, we ask that you follow these guidelines:"

This is what I know for sure, first-hand: Several years ago, while co-moderating a huge indigo Yahoo group, it came to the fore that if there were complaints about copied material, Yahoo without warning or explanation, would nuke the group out of existence. So the rule was strictly enforced and moderating team was frequently bucked by everyone who thought they didn't need to follow the "no copied material, just post a link with a summary or snippet" rule. Indigos pretty much object to rules and demands about behavior. I understand why.

*This is not a new restriction ... I am simply taking the initiative at this time to enforce it.
*There have been no threats or lawsuits specific to this forum, (other than the Mannatech supplements/health claims fiasco which has all been deleted) but there have been actions taken against other groups and individuals.
*I would call it preventative AND a remedy for unthinking trespasses against those who write and place information on the Internet.

The Internet has been a real boon for free and easy access to information previously hard come by. Some (not pointing fingers at anyone here, just in general) carry this a bit too far and think (no demand) that the internet should be a free-for-all with no rules.

Rules/guidelines come into play where ever a group of people gather because there are those that think they can run amok how ever they want to. Back to the traffic analogy - so in America, they say everyone drive on the right side of the road so we don't crash into each other so often. And most will agree to do so for the common good.

It's about respect for others. Courtesy. Netiquette. You can burp and fart in the conference room or at the dinner table if you want to, but it's a sign respect for your companions not to do so.

Hope this helps,
Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote