View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #978
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Thuban Q&A: (warning longer than normal posts here)

Abraxas,

How are you? I want a great answer for that question.

I thought this might be something interesting:

Tonight is the "wolf" moon.

Quote:
The moon is, on average, 238,855 miles (384,400 km) from Earth. The moon's orbit around Earth – which causes it to go through all its phases once every 29.5 days – is not a perfect circle, but rather an ellipse. One side of the orbit is 31,070 miles (50,000 km) closer than the other.

So in each orbit, the moon reaches this closest point to us, called perigee. Once or twice a year, perigee coincides with a full moon, as it will tonight, making the moon bigger and brighter than any other full moons during the year.
What would you recommend for our minds to understand this relation better, in light of this closeness?

Our there relations within ourselves that would benefit and help others within this night especially?

Also:

Quote:
The moon illusion

Finally, be sure to get out and see the full moon as it rises, right around sunset. Along the horizon, the moon tends to seem even bigger. This is just an illusion.

You can prove to yourself that this is an illusion. Taking a small object such as a pencil eraser, hold it at arm's length, and compare its size to that of the moon just as it rises. Then repeat the experiment later in the night and you'll see that the moon compares the same in both cases. Alternately, snap two photos of the moon, with a digital camera or your cell phone, when the moon is near the horizon and later when it's higher in the sky. Pull both photos up on your computer screen and make a side-by-side comparison.

Astronomers and psychologists agree the moon illusion is just that, but they don't agree on how to explain it.
Could you ask Thuban about this little "illusion". I thought it would be silly to ask such a light question at first, but every little thing is what you make it.

Hey thanks Abraxas. Its really great the time you spend here on the forum with the rest of us. I hope you are enjoying from this what you can.

peace