View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #29
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Posting long passages of outside text is prohibited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
Question:

Since bandwith is a concern here, what about posting very large pictures, & sometimes many large pics in one post. What about posting You-tube vids, many of them in the same post. Do they not take up bandwith, the same as long text posts?

Not picking on anyone here, just trying to understand what the limits are and are not.
Just a technical point here - those things do use up bandwidth for the user, but not for Camelot/Avalon's server. The bandwidth they use is the server that is linked to (eg: youtube, or that of the picture hosting sites). When I am working remotely I can block those images to save my broadband caps and still be able to browse Avalon. Many people still use low speed telephone and modem connections and large postings can be a problem for them.

So really the point is about not forceing people to download content that given a choice they would not have. That is why a brief description and a link is kinder.

More extreme examples of breaking this rule include threads comprised of books posted one chapter at a time per post! Or many posts containing long sections of an even longer article Is the kind of thing we have seen (and removed) - a link to scribd or the source is better for everyone.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 11-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote