View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #5
whitecrow
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Water distiller thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoyya View Post
Its so simple its not even funny lol
Have a look there, the guy even made a small video showing his "device".
http://www.associatedcontent.com/vid...ied.html?cat=6

Now this i can totally afford
I was gonna go looking for this video for you...and I see you beat me to it. I found this a month or so ago...had been visualizing something along the same lines and voilá! I came across this video.

If you were to go thrift-shop crawling for a used pressure cooker, you'd save $30 or so, I bet. The only things I see that need to be new (for cleanliness' sake) are the radiator, the hoses and the fittings.

Also, it ought to be relatively easy to cobble up a much larger unit using a larger pressure unit and a larger radiator, or a series of radiators. This is nothing more than a simple moonshine still, and folks have been making them for generations.

There's a filtration unit that's been made in the UK forever...very heavy duty and indestructible and efficient...don't remember the name, and I just spent several fruitless minutes searching for it in my bookmarks and with Google. If you're contemplating cleaning water for a household, you might look into that one, I remember I was impressed when I saw it (impressed enough to lose it in my thousands of bookmarks).

Your main requirements for distillation are a good pressure vessel and a heat source. A clean radiator is the ideal condenser, and I think with a bigger radiator you wouldn't need the fan. I've already decided to bring this up as a project the next time my Future Group meets.
whitecrow is offline   Reply With Quote