View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #25
metaw3
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How valuable is our sense of humor?

Thank you everyone for the funny bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
No words should offend anyone - they are just that "words".
Important point. If you make a joke about UFOs, your theme is aligned with this forum, and your style is your own business.

Same thing with the Thuban material. I don't know if this style even has a name, but it's using the right words to be on topic.

If it had been a joke about marriage, then it's off topic unless the member has an history here like feardia said. Then it's just an exception for that member and it's fine.

If the Thuban material was written using a terminology borrowed from Harry Potter, then it would be off topic.

Isn't that enough to be on topic? So what if I'm funny or confusedly poetic?

I had no problem with the Thuban material being criticized because I don't care for that style. But I actually love jokes so it made very uncomfortable when I saw a joke on topic being terminated. How can I feel free to express myself when I see a joke I could have made, because it's my style, causing someone to be banned? I actually wondered about giving up on this forum, but decided to start this thread instead. I was not going to bump it. Just to know it is there was enough. My point was made. Have I got in trouble later on for a joke, I would have bump this thread to defend myself. Now that Harper seems determined to bump it all the way, we'll see what happens.

Humor is integral to my happiness, and I don't care if someone hits me hard with sarcasm. Be my guest. I love that. It's just words as Halcyon said. I can take it even if the joke is on me. Laughing with others about yourself means you really learned what it means to be in the observer mode.

My favorite comedians are Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David. They both could have made the joke about UFOs having no toilets. Would we ban them if they ever come to this forum and make jokes as their first threads? That is something to ponder

Last edited by metaw3; 03-04-2010 at 06:20 AM.
metaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote