Thread: 2012 Movie
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
MONITOR
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: 2012 Movie

HTML Code:
We (or at least I, Bill: I await Kerry's review with interest) do not recommend the latest Roland Emmerich disaster movie and unintended comedy, 2012. A better investment would have been G-Force - a kid's story about a covert program using guinea pigs for espionage. It would have been more realistic.

Emmerich spent $250 million and didn’t check how high the Drakensberg Mountains were, didn’t know what the North Face of Everest really looked like, and failed to locate a high school physics student to ask whether or not neutrinos “mutate”, whether cellphones would still work when solar storms destablize the Earth's core, and whether light planes can fly through clouds of volcanic ash. And that’s before we get started on the plot, the script, the acting, and the logic and/or impossibility of almost every scene. The best online review I read suggested that casting John Cusack in the lead role was like reciting Shakespearean sonnets at a pie-eating contest. Exactly. 

But here's one reason to see it: to figure out why this has been released. Like his previous bad-news epics, Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 turns serious questions into poorly-made and badly-researched comedic entertainment - implanting into the minds of millions that such issues are trivial, ridiculous, impossible, and laughable - and that alternative radio show hosts like 2012's Charlie (played by Woody Harrelson) are unhinged, half-crazed caricatures with little grip on reality. A real-life Charlie would suspect that Emmerich had been told to make the movie the way he did...

Leaner, slicker, faster, and infinitely smarter is the Jason Bourne trilogy. I recently watched them one after the other, riveted from start to finish: these are by far the most realistic espionage movies ever made, featuring the fierce intelligence, humanity and angst of a highly trained, amnesiac Duncan O'Finioan-type super-soldier on a personal mission to discover who he really is - containing no special effects at all. Roland Emmerich: quit now, with the box office takings in your pocket. 
--Bill
Well said Bill Ryan!....I myself didn't give it the thumbs up nor thumbs down
but simply the middle finger
MONITOR is offline   Reply With Quote