View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Default DIY Solar Panel Advice

Hi,

Soon I may have to move to a place where there is no electricity. But even if there were I would like to switch over to solar, as I doubt we are going to be able to access unclean electricity for much longer with the world as it is. Or it will just be too expensive. I don’t want electricity from the power plants anyhows. I am sick of being part of the system raping our Mother Earth. When my British parents and I moved to Australia in 1972 we traveled in a Land Rover for two years, slept under the stars, bathed naked in the sea and billabongs and cooked on a wood fuelled camp fire. Two years without electricity and without running chemically contaminated tap water. BLISS!!! Unfortunately we had to settle because I reached school age. But I digress.

I have been the full time carer of my best friend, Robert, for these past 15 years. He was born with cerebral palsy quadriplegia and is totally dependent on me, he is 35, I am nearly 40. He has an electric wheelchair, and I use an electric mobility scooter, as I have a connective tissue disorder, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and can’t walk too far. So it is pretty important to keep these two things running now and where we will be in the future. We have no family support or any friends who can help us. We live below the poverty line, so advice here is very important as I can’t afford to make any major financial stuff ups by experimenting.

Has anyone here read one or all three of the following books on DIY solar panels? Here is a review link http://www.homeenergyreviews.com/ Books are: Earth4Energy, Home Made Energy, Home Made Power Plant.

I hope to make us totally self sufficient were we intend going. So making our own solar panels at the fraction of the cost of already made, that would be too expensive, would be pretty handy. If I can't access solar power we don't move and that will mean big trouble for us.

Thanks in advance.

Love&peace,
Sam
Just outside Darwin,
Northern Territory
Australia.
SamWhiteHopi is offline   Reply With Quote