View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
morganlilith
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Storing food stuffs - feeling paranoid!!!

i don't feel paranoid about food storage.

i don't see what my family stores as 'emergency storage' so maybe that's why.
it's just prudent to have food on hand and not be dependent on whether the delivery make it from the warehouse to the grocery store. there are too many circumstances that make getting to the store difficult or impossible, even if the sh*t never hits the fan or the zombies never come, lol. also, we don't just accumulate a lot of food and then throw it out when it expires. we store what we eat and rotate through our storage. i grew up in a family that raised and preserved a lot of it's own food. i got away from that for a while, but have returned to it. canning and dehydrating are a big part of our lifestyle. we grind our own flour and bake most of our own bread, so it makes sense for us to have wheat (and other grains/legumes which we enjoy as flour). we have a berkey water filtration system that we use every day. we think in terms of simplifying our life style, and doing things from scratch.

there's something very satisfying about being able to take care of yourself and those you love, even if the weather doesn't cooperate, or someone becomes ill or loses a job, or the zombies come...... ;-)
morganlilith is offline   Reply With Quote