View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #23
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Community Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspyan View Post
I think community living will be EXTREMELY hard to hold together for long. Hippie communities in the 1960s didn't last for long. People will fight, freeload, try to control the ghe group. I went to my first groundcrew meeting and was shocked at how self-righteous these people were.
I like the idea of a town or city that allows me to befriend some people and be "strangers" with others. But this is unlikely to eventuate as building streets, plumbing, electricity production, etc. is too expensive.
I think the current system will be EXTREMELY hard to keep together for long. I'm not normally a betting-type person, but I'd be willing to wager that our entire currency will be going belly up in the next few years. The only problem is that betting in US dollars would have no value.

Yes, the hippies did try this. For them, it was an interesting experiment. If it didn't work, they could always go home. For us, it could very well be a matter of survival and also the continuance of civil - ization. For us, we may never make it back to Kansas after the larger pillars start falling.

The old model of building streets, plumbing, and electricity is based on centralization. The community model is de-centralized. Since each community is an autonomous unit, a sovereign nation onto itself, there is no need for a grid to hold all of them together.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote