View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #657
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post
The disciples sought Enlightenment, but did not know what it was or how it was attainable.
Said the Master, "It cannot be attained". You cannot get hold of it."
Seeing the disciples' downcast look, the Master said,
"Don't be distressed. You cannot lose it either."
And to this day the disciples are in search of that which
can neither be lost nor taken hold of.

~ Anthony de Mello, SJ

Love Always
mudra
Great to see Anthony de Mello quoted here Mudra
I learned a lot from his book "Awareness."
All that is said in the quote is so.

Belief in the illusory ego is the obstacle to revealing that which is inherent within me, not elsewhere, not to be found elsewhere.
I am trying to be very precise with my words.

If I want to play golf really well I go to a master class on golf when I am ready for it.
I may start of with a friend who plays showing me the rudiments, if I get a thirst for it I go to a professional and on, always seeking to improve by listening to a golfer who is further on in the game that I. Even professional sports people have coaches to keep them on track.

I didn't even know there was an illusion till I started on a spiritual path through AA
I listen intently to those who were sober I wanted what they had so desperately.
Then with a degree of serenity I wanted more of the peace I found there.
The books by Indian sages came next, that was a shock but I knew in my spiritual heart that it was so.
Everything I know was within me but needed confirmed, awakened, by a spiritual teacher.
AA is about personal house cleaning, spiritual growth, sometimes it is vital to get seemingly outside help.
The Grace of the Guru is legendary.

If the car battery is flat what do I do? I get a jump start from a car that is running on full power.
I want my light to shine as brightly is possible so I am endeavoring to remove internal mental emotional obstacles, lots of times I need help.
I at least have enough humility to ask.
That may come in the form of a teacher appropriate to my needs. It comes through praying to God who is both immanent (within) and transcendent (outwith). Transecendent is the Provence of the religious. Immanent is Provence of the Mystic.

So what the late Anthony de Mello a Jesuit Priest says is so, it nearly got him excommunicated.
His books not to be sold in Catholic shops during his life time anyway.

Chris
Namaste.
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote