View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #36
ewhite
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Turn the TV Off!

Turn off the TV...

As with anything else in our society, moderation and discernment is key. There are some high quality and thought provoking programs out there. And then again there is some truly terrible programing too. There are people that I am very close too that will never find love and happiness in their lives because they only relate the two by what is shown on trash programming.

Books and radio are the same way. How were people controlled and preyed on before television? Are the histories presented in non-fiction books full of sunshine and whole truths? No way...

I love observing my ten year old watching something like Lost. To see the gears in her head working overtime and the questions she ask tend to open the communication channels to very real philosophical concepts.

I guess my only point is that some programing, like some books and some music is very good for us. At the very least these media forums have the ability to enable discernment skills on a much shorter timeline. I for one do not believe that pretending these things do not exist or burning mindless books is the answer.

Generally speaking from experience, the people who watch trash programming such as these ridiculous reality TV shows are the same people who only read romance and John Grisham novels.

What we truly need is to be able to get programming ala carte. To show networks like MTV, ABC, HBO, (the list goes on) that we will not pay or subject ourselves to the mindless tripe that they are force feeding to our people.

This is all just my opinion and another side of the six sided die.

-E
ewhite is offline   Reply With Quote