Thread: Avalonogy
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
JesterTerrestrial
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Avalonogy

"We seek the truth, and will endure the consequences"

I have not read the patriot act. And if YOU think perhaps i should, please explain to me why! Because I have no time to read such rubbish.

perhaps we all need a lesson on "TRUTH"

Getting it is obviously not easy. Peace JT!

truth (trth)
n. pl. truths (trz, trths)
1. Conformity to fact or actuality.
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
3. Sincerity; integrity.
4. Fidelity to an original or standard.
a. Reality; actuality.
b. often Truth That which is considered to be the supreme reality and to have the ultimate meaning and value of existence.
[Middle English trewthe, loyalty, from Old English trowth; see deru- in Indo-European roots.]
Synonyms: truth, veracity, verity, verisimilitude
These nouns refer to the quality of being in accord with fact or reality. Truth is a comprehensive term that in all of its nuances implies accuracy and honesty: "We seek the truth, and will endure the consequences" (Charles Seymour).
Veracity is adherence to the truth: "Veracity is the heart of morality" (Thomas H. Huxley).
Verity often applies to an enduring or repeatedly demonstrated truth: "beliefs that were accepted as eternal verities" (James Harvey Robinson).
Verisimilitude is the quality of having the appearance of truth or reality: "merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative" (W.S. Gilbert).

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
truth [truːθ]
n
1. the quality of being true, genuine, actual, or factual the truth of his statement was attested
2. something that is true as opposed to false you did not tell me the truth
3. a proven or verified principle or statement; fact the truths of astronomy
4. (usually plural) a system of concepts purporting to represent some aspect of the world the truths of ancient religions
5. fidelity to a required standard or law
6. faithful reproduction or portrayal the truth of a portrait
7. an obvious fact; truism; platitude
8. honesty, reliability, or veracity the truth of her nature
9. accuracy, as in the setting, adjustment, or position of something, such as a mechanical instrument
10. the state or quality of being faithful; allegiance Related adjectives veritable, veracious

truth
   /truθ/ Show Spelled[trooth] Show IPA
–noun,pluraltruths  /truðz, truθs/ Show Spelled[troothz, trooths] Show IPA.
the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
the state or character of being true.
actuality or actual existence.
an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
(often initial capital letter) ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
agreement with a standard or original.
accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
—Idiom
in truth, in reality; in fact; actually: In truth, moral decay hastened the decline of the Roman Empire.
JesterTerrestrial is offline   Reply With Quote