View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The United States of the Solar System

Thank-you for these reasonable suggestions. I'll have to think about them. I'm not an expert on any of this. Did you spontaneously think of these modifications...or have you had these in mind for some time? This whole thread is just an experiment. It's as much about modifying my thinking...as it is about attempting to modify anyone elses.

I especially liked the first part:

'Owing to the increased longevity of Beings in the United Worlds, Representatives should serve a One-time term of 10-years, and Senators should serve a One-time term of 20-years. By this, we also remove the costly and discordant "re-election campaigns." Those so elected may be subject to re-call by the Electorate for non-performance or malfeasants. All elections shall be by DIRECT VOTE of the Electorate by simple majority with no intervening Electoral college or similar.'

If each region was internally under a local version of the solar system constitution...a continuity from local to solar system governance would be more seamless. The military and militia references in the Constitution...as is...would seem to take care of the military matter. To me...modifications are welcome...but pretty soon you can end up with a document which bears little resemblance to the original...is vastly inferior...and which no one can agree on. Then we're back in Tyranny Territory.

If the electorate were electronically connected to the elected...and communicated constantly on all issues...the will of well informed and responsible beings...would more likely be instituted. Elections would be relatively cheap...if limited to internet campaigning and debating. One 10 year term for all offices sounds good to me. But again...I'd prefer to leave the original Constitution in as much of it's original form as possible. The original terms would probably work fine...and would provide for a more constant rotation of power. It seems that a good being becomes a bad being very quickly when they gain a little power and recognition. They are at their best when they first decide to seek office. It's all downhill from there...

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 08-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote