View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
MacGyverCanada
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Bug-Out Bags (Survival Backpacks)

OK a lot of points to answer here:

Carrying water: A litre of water is about a 2-hour supply if you're hiking lightly in temperate weather. 3 litres is enough to get by one 8-hour day of hiking, as long as there is a replenishing water source at your destination or along the way. A water filter is no good if there's no water to filter!

Food: Same deal. A 2-day supply of food could be a half-dozen Powerbars.

Clothing: Agreed, but it's hot and dry climates where cotton works, because it won't store body moisture. Agreed with the importance of layering; my cold-weather layering consists of one synthetic t-shirt, one fleece-lined synth t-shirt one zip-up fleece hooded sweater and my heavy raingear on top, plus synthetic shorts, side-zip fleece pants and breathable rain pants on top. It all zips open to regulate heat.

Rope: It's nice to keep a long length of rope for many reasons; hanging food in a tree, weaving carrying slings and rescue slings, long lashings to secure objects... I'm not saying that you should never cut the riope, but while it is easy to cut a rope, it is much more difficult to make a long rope from short pieces.

Portable fire: Build your shelter, cook your food over the fire bowl, and before sleeping bring the bowl full of coals near your head to keep yourself a bit warmer. Also nice if you accidentally light some grass on fire; you can pick up and preserve your fire before dousing the unwanted flames. The bowl also reflects a great deal of heat, making boiling times shorter.

Fire: A book of paper matches won't last long in the hands of someone inexperienced in fire lighting. They'll likely use most of the book to light their first fire. Making a fire bow is a great skill to have for emergencies, but have you ever tried to build and use one in the rain?

Deodorant: Wiping your butt isn't necessary either, but it sure is nice.

Tools: Axe, saw and multiple knives are great additions. Actually, I think tools are incredibly valuable in a survival situation. They do weigh quite a lot, as you said Sol, so that's why I went with a multitool, which contains all of the following: saw, screwdrivers, knife, pliers, hex drivers, can opener, wire strippers, etc. While none are ideal tools, they'll do in a pinch.

Flashlight: A dynamo or shake light is essential. Even in a highly efficient LED flashlight, the batteries won't last more than a few nights, and batteries are heavy. However, carrying a small battery-powered high-intensity LED light is nice, because most of those dynamo or shake lights are fairly weak.

Survival bag: Great idea, how much do they cost?

Snares: Definitely something I overlooked. I've never been taught how to use them so I've been reading up on some simple ones.

First Aid: Neglected to mention, sorry. I do carry a first aid kit, containing only items that I am comfortable using. That list keeps getting longer as I do more exercises with SAR; education is more important than a kit.

Survival Book: Nice, there are some good pocket ones out there.

Energy Drink: I have Gatorade powder in the survival kit and Jello powder in the first aid kit. Jello has a tiny bit of protein, and it's a really powerful ally in combating the progression of hypothermia.

Bicycle Cords: You mean bungees? They're a little dangerous, it's not really worth the risk, however minor, to have a big hook on an elastic.

2 Compasses: Good call, I need to get a backup.

Personal Survival Kit: What's contained in a USAF ejection seat survival kit?

Cyalum Sticks: Hardcore glow sticks. A small flashlight with batteries lasts just as long for the same weight, and there's a chance you could use it again.

Solid Fuel: Sure, if you want the weight. Those little burners used for chafing dishes work well!

Thermal Blanket: in the first aid kit!

Duct tape: I carry a stick with medical, reflective, and duct tapes wrapped around it. Saves on space and packaging materials.

Whistle: Fox 40 Classic, pealess signalling whistle

Gloves: I have a base layer of a cheap $1 pair of acryllic gloves, followed by a pair of thin high-grip Kevlar work gloves, all inside a heavy nylon-shelled overmitten.

Thanks for the input, it's good to see that some other people are interested in the topic!
Hey, it's good to see a fellow fencer, David!
MacGyverCanada is offline   Reply With Quote