View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 AM   #43
AscendingStarseed
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Community Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmonkey View Post
I tend to agree with the "magic" of a place being important.

How do you feel about the volcanic aspect of Hawaii? Do you think the concern is more economic than one of earth changes? I've considered Hawaii but I've never been there. Kauai sounds nice.

I've been considering various locations over the past few years and I haven't figured out a place that has all the right pieces. At the moment I live in a mountain area with a pretty magical vibe- but the climate gets a bit to cold in winter for my liking and I can't grow year round.
The volcanic aspect doesn't bother me, especially living on Kauai because is several islands West of the big island where the active volcano is. I feel the concerns are both economic and environmental, that both are entering into a perfect storm scenario. Both humanity and the planet are on an unsustainable course....

Survival is a matter of reconnecting with the Earth on as much of self sustainable course as possible. I've been to Kauai and it has the best of all worlds there....it's the called the Garden Island because of all the beautiful flora and exotic plants, there's an area there that's called the miniature Grand Canyon, awe inspiring cliff's line the North coast, I think Hanalei Bay was where the song "Puff the Magic Dragon" was written - some how the song and the place are tied together?? Kauai is kind of the forgotten island, the Big Island, Maui and Oahu tend to get more of the tourists. Kauai still gets enough tourist $$ to keep the island going...

It's about the only place in America I can think of that has a climate where you can grow year round, that has fertile soil and isn't in the South. And, right now if I had my choice I would get as far away from America as possible, unfortunately there aren't too many places in the world where Americans are welcome. In fact we're hated most every where, so even if I went to another country I'd probably be paranoid that I was a target for hate crimes or kidnapping.

What I liked about Hawaii was it was far enough away that it almost felt like being in another country and you don't need a passport
to get there. The more I think about it the better it sounds...
AscendingStarseed is offline   Reply With Quote