View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #24
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: escaping ? selling ? letting go of everything ? HOW DID YOU DO IT ???

Hi THE eXchanger,

For me it was when the realization that material things are not important set in.

I was around 20 years old when I started "feathering the nest". I had a well paid job, a nice rented apartment (flat for the Brits), I collected Morris Minor motor cars - well three of them - when I lived in the Midlands in the UK.

One day I looked around me when the apartment was fully furnished and I thought to myself, "What now? Why have I done this? What's the point?" I came to the conclusion that there was no point, that we go through life missing out on important things whilst our heads are down as we try to scrape and scratch to get those things that a shallow society deems important, like flat screen TVs, a new car every year, a 'nice' home (with plastic covers on the couch!). I decided that I didn't want to miss out on anything else so I simply took two weeks holiday from work, closed the door behind me and took the ferry to France and hitch hiked to Spain. I went back to the UK six months later, lived on a boat and worked for a computer company in the Southeast, but after 8 months my yearning took me away again. Now I was 22 years old and off I went back to Barcelona, Paris, Switzerland, Brazil and the rest is history.

Living 'on the road' is not all that hard to do. As Linda Baker said that the law of reciprocity is always in play, I beleive that it is and ever since I've been away from the UK I've, of course met bad people, but on the whole I met a lot of very, very nice people who I believe supported me because I was living a lifestyle that they wished that they could do but didn't have the courage (after all, what would the neighbours think?).

I think the difficult part is making the decision and acting in the first instance. The rest falls into place as you go along. You are free to do what you want, when you want, how you want, but not always where you want I found out!

It's like I've been on holiday for the last 26 years!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE eXchanger View Post
escaping ?
selling ?
letting go of everything ?

This is something, a lot of us here, have likely done

or, are, likely soon to do

SO...here are some questions

HOW DID YOU DO IT ???

HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU ???

WHAT DID YOU KEEP,
that, you wish you had NOT keep ???

WHAT DID YOU SELL,
that, you wish you had NOT sold ???

any ideas, for funny/or interesting ads that work ???

any suggestions, that, save time, and, make it easier ???

is it better, to free-cycle lot of it -- and, just give it away ???
+ xxx
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote