View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #388
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: A musical interlude

Yah that classical guitarist from Caprice 5 was insanly fast, especially with his chromatic scale up and down the neck and strings, most people play that part all hammer on and hammer off, he was just flying, but I think the reverb did it in for me too.

Here is 2 versions of Paganini's Caprice #24.

They are both played on the classical guitar but they contrast nice with each other as the musicians have a completely different play style from each other.

Eliot Fisk plays with lots of passion and risk taking, risk taking meaning it is being played outside of what a musician would consider a safe zone so the risk for a misplayed note can be quite considerable.

The other player, Li Jie, is conservative and more relaxed but at the same time she is absolutely flawless in execution.

First the risk taker, I had the pleasure of seeing this guy play live when he was in Canada a few years back.

He plays the song in roughly 4 and a half minutes.

Next Li Jie, the same song but it takes about 3 minutes longer then fisk:

For me.. it is a tough call but I would have to go Li Jie, just because of how she plays so effortlessly, just like she is sitting down having a cup of tea or something.
Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote