View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
3optic
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: LOST: What's real, what's fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedobserver View Post
Just like Carter confessed to doing for the X-files the writers of LOST undoubtedly mine forums just like this one for ideas. I kid you not. Look it up. It isn't that they have any particular insight into these things and trying to "tell us something", rather they are using it as source material and idea generation. They are riffing off the stuff. Don't put the cart before the horse. Same goes for the whole star-gate business. Writers for these shows dig through both ancient and modern day mythology for ideas. It then gets fedback into the forums or "fringe community" as "confirmation" by folks who don't understand how that business works. More noise in the system.
I have to agree. Predictive programming is certainly a real technique and science fiction has often been a source but if you talk to people who write for these shows, you get the distinct feeling that they are just guys who want to write good material and like to "dork out" on speculative material. I have made a point to ask show runners in Hollywood when I can what nefarious agenda laced notes if any input comes from on high. So far nothing conclusive. However, I did work on an animated film where it was insisted that the main character have a dead mother (see Freeman's notes on Disney).
3optic is offline   Reply With Quote