View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #116
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: No Food - No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseekerdan View Post
bashi,

Thank you for this info. I was thinking myself how to achieve eating less, because I was showed that we are entering tough times ahead - and food will be scarce.

To: truthseekerdan

The following was the original response to your statement early on in this thread. As an after thought I have been meaning to come back and share with anyone that many times what feels like a need for food is actually a need for water. By drinking a glass of water, the desire for what a person thought was food will go away. Most recent research indicates the body needs 1/2 its body weight in ounces of water (not liquids) per day.

Oh and thanks bashi for sharing your experience.

One way to achieve eating less is chewing your food, one mouthful at a time, until it is liquid. This includes any smoothie drinks or green drinks, and some people even say water should be chewed before swallowing. The food will be more easily digested since some of the enzymes are produced through chewing and you will receive more nutrients from the food you eat.

It may take 10 chews or 100 chews depending on the food you are eating.

At Macrobiotic Cancer centers, they require you chew every mouthful 150 times.

By thoroughly masticating (aka fletcherizing, popularized by Horace Fletcher) a person will feel full on less food and not end up overstuffed or end up gaining weight by overeating. It also exercises many muscles associated with the mouth.

For me it is sort of a meditation at the same time.

Food should taste better the longer you chew it. If not, the food choice is probably not a good one.

Chapter X. What Constitutes A Fletcherite

http://chestofbooks.com/health/nutri...etcherite.html

Historical Note

Horace Fletcher (1849-1919), an American businessman from Lawrence, Massachusetts, was best known for his writing and lectures on popular nutrition. His major innovation in eating habits, called Fletcherism, prescribed eating in small amounts only when hungry and chewing food thoroughly. Numerous celebrities of the time, such as John D. Rockefeller, Upton Sinclair, and Henry James, followed Fletcher's advice.

Fletcher was president of the Health and Efficiency League of America, subsidized research on nutrition, and worked in Belgium during World War I teaching refugees his system of vital economics: how to make the most of their scant rations.

American Food Fads

Excerpt:

Quote:
America’s first food fad, “Fletcherizing” became popular towards the early 1900’s. The fad consisted of millions of Americans taking advice from Horace Fletcher, to chew each bite of food up to as many as one hundred times (Pollan 299). With Americans latched onto this concept, the food that they ate no longer became significant or a habit, instead the habit was to chew, chew, and chew more. “Gradually, the fad died because people were too lazy or too busy with other things to give the required 45 strokes to every mouthful”(TIME). No one in America at the time of the fad’s popularity attempted to challenge Fletcherism until a physiology professor at the University of Chicago released his results on his study of the theory. Dr. Harold G. O. Hoick concluded that his own practice of Fletcherizing had no benefits on the overall health of his body (TIME). Either way, Horace Fletcher became the first man in America to sway the diets of millions of Americans with one fad.
SOURCE: http://jmarbach.com/american-food-fads

Eat somewhat less but eat it more
Would you be hearty beyond fourscore.
Eat not at all in worried mood
Or suffer harm from best of food.
Don't gobble your food but "Fletcherize"
Each morsel you eat, if you'd be wise.
Don't cause your blood pressure e'er to rise
By prizing your menu by its size.

This little lyric was the popular expression of a fad which made famous its founder, Horace Fletcher, some 20 years ago. John D. Rockefeller took it up and provided a prose version of its message: "Don't gobble your food. 'Fletcherize,' or chew very slowly while you eat."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz0huUIh2tO

Last edited by peaceandlove; 03-11-2010 at 10:34 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote